Monday, October 15, 2007

GOTCHA!




Wow- what a day!

We arrived at the government affairs office about 15 minutes before the kids did. We met up with my friend Pam (from our Yahoo group) and we nervously waited (and I mean NERVOUSLY!). Suddenly the door opened and a nanny and the assistant director of the orphanage came in with 2 children. Since Pam's son Evin is older than Ben and his cleft is not as severe, we immediately knew which one was which. Besides that, I recognized Ben immediately from his recent pictures. The nanny introduced Evin to Pam and her husband but she was not giving Ben to me. There was a flurry of conversation between our guide and the assistant director. Then, the assistant director picked up the phone and started talking very quickly. After a few seconds, our guide said, "I'm sorry but they have brought the wrong child. This child is a girl who will be picked up next week. They will bring your son this afternoon." I must have looked at her like she had grown a second head! I said, "No, this is our son. I recognize him." Again there was a flurry of conversation and then they again insisted that this was the wrong child. After another call to the orphanage they finally figured out the problem: right child, wrong paperwork! See, a mother knows her child!!!! And, he is CLEARLY a boy :)

Meeting Ben in person was so wonderful. He did not cry at all and Jay even made him laugh (see video below). He has the most precious laugh! He is actually a little bigger than I imagined him to be. I guess I just prepared myself for him to be super tiny. He is small, don't get me wrong, but he is not super tiny. The 12 month clothes fit him nicely. The nannies handed him a lollipop and he held onto that thing with a death grip. Then our guide handed him a package of rice crackers and he held that in the other hand. It was so funny watching him grip them so tightly! Side note: the lollipop is now in a million pieces after the "Drop it on the Floor" game which was enjoyed by all! He is such a happy, smiley baby and he is really ticklish. He should fit right into our family!

After leaving the government affairs office we came back to our room. He ate his rice crackers and drank almost an entire bottle of strawberry Pediasure. It is so interesting to see how he uses his teeth and tongue to compensate for his cleft when he drinks from his bottle. It was then nap time so we laid him in his bed. For the next hour or so he laughed to himself and checked out his new crib. So much for the nap! We decided to get him up and go for a walk outside. We almost made several crash their bikes since they were staring at him instead of paying attention to the road! We came back to our hotel and had some tea in the lobby. He ate a whole cereal bar (I mean he took that thing DOWN!) and then had a ball helping me clean up the crumbs. He would pick them up and put them in my hand. I would tickle him and say good job- he laughter was echoing in the lobby!

Right now he is laying (awake) next to Daddy (asleep!). I have a feeling that tonight there is going to be an exhausted meltdown but then he is going to sleep HARD.

I posted my favorite pictures in this slideshow but you can see more by clicking on the photo link to the right (which is where I will upload pictures to everyday).

Oh-I forgot to mention, the nannies gave us a list of the 7 meals he eats a day. Yes SEVEN! I don't know how they can feed him that often and he can still be so tiny. I guess we will have to wait and see how much he really eats at dinner tonight!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to write. He is just adorable and the joy on your faces is obvious. God is so good!!!!
Melissa

- Lisa Loves Abe - said...

I work with Lauren at Gymboree and we were in China 2.5 years ago for our Gotcha Day. Our daughter was 14 mths and reading your blog puts me right back their on that day.

I have tears running down my face reading your words and looking at the photos of Ben. He is adorable! The smile on his face is wonderful. I am so thrilled for your family.

Lisa

Walking Through said...

Thank you for sharing Ben's big day. I had to cry as I read that they were having problems and wouldn't let you have him. After the incident was over, I'm sure the nannies realized that Ben was already loved deeply.
He is a cutie. I love the sense of humor that we can already see in those photos. Precious!

Kim H
another Dillon mom

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your incredible day. He is just precious!

Ben, welcome to your family!

Susan F.

Anonymous said...

He is so beautiful!! He does look like a really happy kid - I can't wait to meet him!
Natalie

Yoli said...

He eminates joy, what a beautiful soul. Thank you for sharing, enjoy your beautiful baby.

Yoli

Debbie Bouler Smith said...

Jan & Jay Congrat's on Having Ben!!
he is adorable I love that BIG smile! I am so Happy for you all and I over Joyed with tears seeing all the great Pictures Thanks for sharing your Special Family Day with us!

Hugs and Blessing's We will be Praying for you all!
Debbie Smith( I will show Katie the pictures tomorrow and see if she reconizes Ben : )

Debbie Bouler Smith said...

Congrat's Jen & Jay & Adorable Little Ben! I am Over Joyed with Tears reading the post and seeing the pictures How truly Blessed you all are. I just love Ben's BIG smile too cute! and LOL on the farts's poor little guy Hope you took gas X!
I will show Katie his pictures tomorrow and see how she reacts!
I just know she will know him!! and Little Evin too.
We are Praying for you all!
((Hug's)) & Blessings
Debbie Smith

Bethany O'Connor said...

I don't know if my face or heart could be smiling any bigger!!! I am so very very happy for you. Ben is gorgeous and that smile of his is overwhelming. I am so thrilled to see you both in the same picture with him finally. And to read that he took some steps already is just too much!!--My most sincere congratulations on having your son in your arms. : ) : ) : ) ---Bethany

Anonymous said...

We couldn't be happier for all of you. Thank you for sharing so much of your journey. It has truly been a gift.

By the way, Michael says as long as the bottle just has water in it he doesn't care.

Have a safe trip home!

The Pattersons