Saturday, October 20, 2007

Guangzhou: Land of MANY White Folks!




I seem to be losing the battle against food/water borne illness and I am going to bed. I will let Jay tell you about our day and explain the picture...

Today was a fairly relaxing day. Guangzhou is quite different from Taiyuan. Jen and I miss Taiyuan and, while we'd rather be there, it was pleasant to have a large breakfast with a view of the river and walk about Shamian Island.

Our only adoption related activity was Ben's medical exam this morning. Lots of families were there trying to get the paperwork done in a clinic set aside for adoptions. The crying was pretty intense. It was a little amusing that they bothered putting a sign up asking for quiet in a place like that. Ben did phenomenal. His only tears came when Jen put his naked backside down on a cold metal chair. Talk about a "rookie" parenting mistake!

We spent the rest of the day walking around and doing a little shopping. We found a Starbucks with a quiet courtyard in front. It was really nice to sit and have coffee. There were lots of couples having their wedding photos taken. Some of the outfits and poses were pretty wild. All in all it was a great day to hang out and watch the people as the watched us. We tried getting Ben to play a little in the park, but he was more than happy sitting in the backpack watching the world go by.

After some snacks back at the hotel, we went out for dinner. We found a Canonese restaurant and ordered some duck. It turned out to be good value for money as they brought the "whole duck" and nothing but the duck for us to eat. I didn't know that a duck's bill was so rubbery. Check out the photo......that's a tongue in there.


3 comments:

Yoli said...

Ok, I am horrified at the duck bill statement! LOL. I am sorry Jen is not feeling well, I hope she recuperates for the flight home. I pity her because I got so sick in China that I could not tend to our daughter. My poor husband had to do EVERYTHING for her. You are getting close to coming home. Wait and see once you are out of China how much you miss it. I missed it terribly.

Anonymous said...

Hope Jen feels better soon! I was the only one brave enough to eat duck tongue on our last trip. Not really craving it or looking to eat it again....
Have fun in Guangzhou!
Melissa

Jen said...

Daddy and Mommy, I have never seen you eat duck before. Did you even eat the duck's tongue? That is a nice picture of you and the duck's beak. It looks like you are laughing. We built a train last night. I love you and miss you. Jack